Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fruits of Labor


For the last few months my friend Abby & I have discussed tackling CANNING. The age old method of preserving the current harvest. Abby's home has a beautiful orchard with Apples, Plums, Cherry's and more. (top photo is looking up from her grass) The apples were so abundant so we decided to start with them.


Neither of us had canned, I started to research. Which is what I usually do when I become obsessed with anything. Here is a web site I found incredible useful.
Her neighbor Pamela came over to show us the ropes. I would advise having a canning mentor for first timers. We learned so much. We spent a full day developing a system. Next time it will become a social event...a few ladies, a little wine, food and canning.
Abby's house smelled delicious, sorry about the sticky floors:)
I can't wait to try the apple butter on a fresh slice of home made bread!

The fruits of our labor was so satisfying.
(pun intended as Abby says)

Here is what we made (lower photo).....

Apple Butter Chunky Apple/Pear Sauce Pureed Apple Sauce

The only thing we were missing is the Midwest farm apron.
Maybe next time:)

2 comments:

Brooke said...

HOORAY, and welcome to blogland! I am so inspired by your blog already. You are a natural blogger with your mad skillz in every department. I am so excited. I want to see how your worm boxes are doing, so let's see a post about those, huh?

xoxo

Jason said...

Hi Little Sis! Cool blog. I love canning... Brooke and I just put up about 20 quarts of salsa from our garden. Yeah, I said "put up" that's canning slang for um... "canned" he he. Last year Brooke made plum sizurp (killer on waffles) from the tree in our yard.