Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I googled dad today...




I googled dad today.

Mark John Lambert

I found a man who was an author who wrote about land mass.
not MJL
An application for a trade mark for John Lambert.
not MJL
John Mark Lambert holds an electoral roll in Australia
not MJL

While it seemed that my dad was, as usual,

under the radar, I clicked the next link and found an 2002 article...

"Remodeling is a smart investment," said Lambert, "because it's not a commodity. What you're really doing is changing the allocation of your assets.
And your home is an asset you can live in and enjoy."
Looking at it from that viewpoint, Lambert doesn't see it as a choice between buying or remodeling. It's just a choice of how to distribute assets.

I started to think about my dads various roles and enthusiasms in life. The immense impact he has had in others lives, including my own. Whether he knew it or not.

Business, Rotary, Church, Entrepreneur, tease, loving husband, student, brother, son...


I still haven't been able to look at the amazing photo collection my brother Jules put together, or the link on the my home town newspaper page for the obituaries, or anything else about my dad.
Bellingham is home and it is nice to visit, but I picture dad just behind the house or still working in the garage, just beyond my sight. Which is where he usually was.

Visually I see my boyfriend wearing one of dads baseball hats that's from bellingham mill work. I can just imagine dad saying "Cool Hat!"

His inflection would have been on the C and the first o elongating it slightly.
I am sure he got it for free.

On my desk is a photo of my dad grinning with hands on hips, black head to toe and from cleaning a chimney. Always working, only on Sunday working spiritually.

It is Sunday, I am sad about the anniversary of my dads death tomorrow.

I have been trying to think about his life, the good memories and all the values he instilled.

What really brings me sadness is the future,
not being able to phone him if I have a question

How do I get my squeeky closet doors to close smoothly?
Whats the best way to remove wall paper ? Or his favorite...
How do I make simple syrup for the perfect lemonade?

He is gone, and gone with him is the memories of the bad times, his impatience, his unavailable emotions and overtime work ethic.

With ease I only reacall the best of times.

I know he would want me to take his strengths make them my own and take his weakness and change them so they aren't mine.

I might be googled one day



PS:
Dads Tips
Squeeky Closet Sliding Doors:
Take a long candle and rub on the wheels and the tracks, the friction will slightly melt the wax and allow the doors to close easily and squeek free.

Simple Syrup: For perfect lemonade

2 parts sugar
1 part water
Preparation:
Bring the water to a boil.
Dissolve the sugar into the boiling water.
Once the sugar is dissolved completely, remove the pan from the heat.
Allow to cool and add the juice fresh from 10 lemons & 2 limes.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

This email and post was one of the most touching things I've ever read. Well said, Elizabeth.